I recently came back from a trip to Hong Kong, a vacation that inspired this recipe. During my trip, I tried a new dessert at one of the Chinese restaurants. It was a thin, crispy pastry glazed with sweet honey. It melted in my mouth, and I instantly fell in love with this dessert. After recovering from some jetlag, I was immediately determined to figure out how to make it. With a bit of experimentation, I was able to come up with something similar.
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup corn flour for sprinkling
4 cups oil
Toasted sesame seeds
1 cup honey
1/4 cup water
Put honey and water into a saucepan. Mix and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat. Set aside.
Or you can use full strength honey.
Cut the dough into stripsDirections
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt well.
- Place eggs and flour mixture into a bowl of the stand mixer. Knead with a dough hook for a few minutes.
- Add shortening and continue to knead for five minutes or until the dough is smooth.
- Take the dough out, sprinkle with corn flour and roll dough as thin as possible on a surface area.
- Cut into 1" X 3"strips.
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Stretch strips a little before dropping into the hot oil. Fry five or six strips at a time. Turn several times until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Transfer the crisps onto a serving plate. Pour honey glaze evenly over the crisps, sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds and serve.