I like this recipe because it's simple and tasty. Also, it's a great way of using up some of the leftover cooked meat or cooked seafood. There is no straight rule at all. Quinoa is not something that everyone would like, but you may consider giving these quinoa cakes a try even if you are not a big fan of quinoa. Perhaps they would surprise you by their taste.
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup chicken broth
1 egg - beaten
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup green onions - chopped
1/4 cup cooked meat - chopped
1/2 cup bread crumbs - Japanese style
2 to 3 tablespoons oil
Pinch salt and pepper
- Combine quinoa and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Turn heat on low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Let cool for 5 minutes - covered.
- Fluff with fork. Let cool for another 15 minutes - uncovered
- Combine cooked quinoa, egg, flour, cooked meat, green onions, salt and pepper.
- Form a small round patty.
- Coat the patty with bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Pan fry the patties until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 7 to 8 patties.