I went to the supermarket today. As I walked pass the seafood section, a lady who works there asked me if I wanted any salmon bones. I know her quite well as I always go there and check on their seafood. Since I never bought salmon bones before, I didn’t know what I should use them for. The lady suggested that I could use them to make soup. Well, I thought that was a good idea. So I took the fish bones home and came up with a recipe immediately. Remember one time my sister-in-law told me that she always uses V8 original juice to make spaghetti sauce. So I tried to use V8 as one of the ingredients to make my soup.
We had the soup at dinnertime. It was delicious.
2 lbs salmon fish bones
2 cups carrots - chopped
1 onion – chopped
6 garlice cloves – chopped
3 green onions – cut into 3 sections
3 cups V8 original cocktail
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
5 basil leaves
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
Pinch parsley or green onions
Salmon fish bones
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion and green onions and sauté for about one minute.
- Add salmon bones and continue to sauté.
- Add chicken broth, V8 original vegetable cocktail, water, basil and bay leaves and bring to boil. (Leave potato for later use)
- Then turn to minimum heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Drain the fish soup by using a strainer. Transfer to another pot.
- Add potato into the soup and simmer for half an hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle some parsley or chopped green onions and serve.