For these mini cakes, I used a Swiss roll sponge cake recipe and cut it out into small pieces with a heart-shaped cookie cutter after it was baked. I made them to two-layer small cakes, and I spread the buttercream in between two layers, and then over the whole cake. I finished the cakes with a coat of almonds around the side, spread some jam on top, and then sprinkle over some shredded white chocolate. Since all the pieces that I cut out ended with an odd number, I could only make 7 small layer-cakes with one single heart-shaped piece and some tiny pieces left. I like the buttercream frosting creamy but not too sweet. So I reduced the amount of sugar to suit my taste.
Mini heart shaped cakes
6 eggs - separated
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sliced almonds
4 tablespoons jam
1/4 cup shredded white chocolate
1 cup unsalted butter - softened
1 cup icing sugar - or to your desire
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whip all the ingredients until creamy and smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 17"X 11" cookie sheet with parchment paper greased with butter or margarine.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks, sugar, oil, milk, vanilla extract and flour until creamy. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed. (Make sure the beaters are clean and dry before you beat the egg whites)
- Gently fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Pour mixture onto the cookie sheet and level the mixture. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut into heart-shaped pieces.
Assemble the mini heart-shaped cakes: Spread the buttercream frosting on top of one piece and cover with another piece. Spread the whole cake with the frosting. Coat sliced almonds around the cakes. Spread some jam on top and sprinkle over white chocolate.